New European regulations related to the use of fossil fuels may have an impact on many companies, including a car master like Ferrari. Indeed, European Union last month proposed an effective ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars from 2035 as part of its measures to combat global warming, posing a challenge to automakers that have made powerful engines a key selling point. However, Ferrari Chairman and CEO John Elkann sees it as an opportunity more than an issue.
The opportunity set by electrification, electronics and other technologies that are coming available will allow us to make even more distinct and unique products.John Elkann, Ferrari Chairman and CEO
He stated that it is more a question of how to substitute one technology with the other. In his opinion, it is fundamental to use the technologies available, which today are hybrid going to electric. Moreover, this transition will provide new collaborations and new partnerships inside and outside the industry.
The new European Green Deal seems to be in Ferrari’s plan. Indeed, they perfectly achieved the 2020 goal of reducing CO2 emissions by 35%. Anyway, it is not enough. In 2020, Ferrari thanks to the tri-generation process, which produces from a single source power, heat, and cooling, covered 81% of the company’s plant’s energy requirements. the remaining 19% was provided by renewable sources.
Although there already are four electrified vehicles LaFerrari, the SF90, and SF90 Spider and the most recent being the 296 GTB, Ferrari announced the launch of a fully electric model, which will be its first one in 2025. Brace yourself! The Horse will be electric!