The president of the Spanish government, Pedro Sánchez, has announced a new package of anti-crisis measures to be implemented across Spain to combat the inflation triggered in great part by the war in Ukraine, which began last February 24th with the invasion of Russian troops.
Among these measures are new taxes on electricity and banking, as well as a 100% bonus for Spanish Railways (Renfe) season tickets, although it will not apply to all trips or types of season tickets. The Executive will make this aid effective from the beginning of September until the end of the year.
This measure encourages the use of this type of collective public transport to guarantee the needed daily commuteSpanish Ministry of Transport
As explained by the leader of the Executive, the passes that will be 100% subsidized will be all those of the Cercanías, Rodalíes and Cercanías de Ancho Métrico lines operated by Renfe “with all the multi-journey tickets or season tickets (more than one round trip)”.
1. Passes included
- Pass 10 regional: For passengers who make up to 10 round trips in 45 days, always on the same route.
- Simple 10 card: For passengers who make up to 10 round trips within 45 days, always with the same route.
- Card 10 libre: For passengers who make up to 10 round trips within 45 days, always with the same route.
- Regional monthly pass: For unlimited trips every month, always with the same route.
- Simple monthly card: For unlimited trips every month, always with the same route.
- 40 free monthly card: For unlimited trips every month, always with the same route.
Likewise, the Cercanías Ancho Métrico trains will also receive the 100% bonus from the Government. For example, the Atlantic Axis, Vigo-Pontevedra-Santiago-A Coruña-Ferrol or Bilbao-Santander.
A safe, reliable, comfortable, economic and sustainable means of transportation, amid the extraordinary circumstances of the steady increase of energy and fuel prices.Spanish Ministry of Transport
2. Which passes are not included
Avant passes, which are medium distance services through the Ata Velocidad network, for example Madrid-Ciudad Real or Barcelona-Tarragona, will have a 50% discount.
- Plus Card: For those who travel every day between two specific stations (at the passenger’s choice). In addition, you can decide whether you want between 30 and 50 round trips.
- Plus 10 Card: For those who make 10 round-trips or return trips in 8 days. Always on the same route, at the traveler’s choice.
- Plus 10-45 Card: For those who make 10 round trips in 45 days. As long as they have the same route, also at the traveler’s choice.
- Plus 10 Student Card: For students who make 10 round trips indistinctly and who travel regularly on Avant trains. The route must always be the same.
“The reason why the high-speed medium distance is not 100% discounted is because this Government measure is aimed at daily mobility, daily commuting to work or school. Therefore, the inclusion of the high speed in the free travel would mean problems with the liberalization of the High Speed, as is the case of the Madrid-Barcelona and Madrid-Valencia lines”, announced Renfe in a press statement.