Cruise ships that have been stranded in the Arabian Gulf since the start of Israeli-US attacks on Iran at the end of February 2026 have finally been able to leave the area, transiting the contested Strait of Hormuz. The ships include vessels belonging to major cruise lines such as MSC, TUI, and Celestyal, and some are preparing to welcome passengers for itineraries that had previously been cancelled, cruise lines have confirmed.
The MSC Euribia has left Dubai, passed through the Strait, and left the region “on course to resume her Northern Europe season,” MSC Cruises told Cruise Hive. The sailing happened “in close coordination with the relevant authorities,” the cruise line said, even though it appeared to happen unexpectedly, since the cruise line had only cancelled the Euribia’s 16 and 17 May itineraries in the Baltic and North Seas two days earlier. It has now reinstated those northern European departures, starting with the cruise departing on May 16 from Kiel (and May 17 from Copenhagen).
The 16 May sailing departs Kiel, Germany, for a 7-night voyage calling at Copenhagen, Denmark, where it will pick up more guests on 17 May, and going on to Hellesylt, Alesund, and Flam in Norway. The firm has clarified that guests who took up options to refund or take a cruise credit when the departure was thought to be cancelled now have the chance to “transfer their booking to this sailing should they wish, and will be contacted directly with further details,” MSC said.
JUST IN: 🇮🇷 Four cruise ships speed through the Strait of Hormuz under reported fire amid claims of an Iranian “minefield.” pic.twitter.com/EWFf7rkFws
— Tracker guru (@trakerguru) April 19, 2026
The ship will continue tosail northern European waters until mid-October, before heading to the Mediterranean for a winter season that includes sailings from Barcelona, Marseille, Genoa, Naples, and Palermo for the winter season. It is scheduled to return to Kiel and Copenhagen again in spring 2027.
Celestyal Cruises’ Celestyal Discovery also departed Dubai on Friday, 17 April en route to the Suez Canal and the Mediterranean, where it is due to operate a three-night Iconic Greek Islands itinerary on 1 May 2026. The Celestyal Journey, too is sailing off the coast of Oman, at the time of writing, on its way to Cape Town. It is due to sail a Heavenly Greece, Italy, and Croatia itinerary departing Athens on 2 May.
The firm announced a consultation period that would mean job losses for “a limited number of roles across its UK and global offices, including a review of the Celestyal Travel business,” following the suspension of operations in the Gulf, as part of restructuring moves that represent “a limited adjustment relative to the overall size of the business and are part of a measured response to external circumstances,” a statement said.
The cruise ship Celestyal Discovery appears to have just successfully run the Strait of Hormuz. pic.twitter.com/FJpuuj7MV4
— OSINTtechnical (@Osinttechnical) April 17, 2026
Meanwhile, TUI Cruises said in a press release that Mein Schiff 4 and Mein Schiff 5 have been able to depart Doha where they had been stuck since the start of hostilities. They successfully traversed the Strait of Hormuz, despite the Mein Schiff 4 reportedly being threatened by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard and an impact narrowly missing the ship, according to security firm Vanguard Tech.
The ships will sail on to the Mediterranean. The Mein Schiff 4 was supposed to sail a five-day round-trip from Palma on 1 May, calling at Marseille, Barcelona, and Valencia, while the Mein Schiff 5 was supposed to be serving routes out of Heraklion, Greece. “Further details regarding the route and timing will be communicated as soon as they are confirmed,” the firm said.












