There is nothing quite like immersing yourself in the beautiful phenomenon that is the natural world. Walking amongst ancient trees, observing unique wildlife or canoeing across a crystal clear lake. If these activities sound appealing to you, be sure to mark these days in your calendar, as there are three days remaining of the US National Park Service’s (NPS) six days of free entry in 2021.
1. National park free open days
It is possible to visit hundreds of US national parks for free all year-round, as only 108 of the 423 NPS sites and parks charge entrance fees. However, some of the country’s most popular destinations, such as Grand Canyon, Zion, and Yellowstone require entrance fees of up to $35 per vehicle, so taking advantage of the NPS offer is entirely worth it. The days on which admission is free (to any US national park that typically charges a fee) are as follows; August 25th (National Park Service Birthday), September 25th (National Public Lands Day) and November 11th (Veterans Day).
2. Visiting the national parks and sites
Aside from these days, if you’re looking to visit multiple national parks you can take advantage of the America the Beautiful, The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands annual pass, which enables holders to access hundreds of federal recreation sites for $80 a year. There are also certain exemptions for particular groups who qualify for free annual passes, including current US military members and their dependents, US fourth graders, and US citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities.
US citizens or permanent residents aged 62 and up can also get an $80 lifetime senior pass or $20 annual pass. Approximately 80% of the money generated by entrance fees to the park stays in that same park and is used for maintenance, habitat restoration and more. The remaining 20% goes toward parks that don’t collect entrance fees, as stated by the NPS website.