The government of New York State has launched a new digital vaccine pass to try to restart activities in large venues such as concerts, sport games, and other events currently operating with limited capacity due to Covid-19 regulations.
Developed in partnership with IBM, the Excelsior Pass is a digital tool that can confirm an individual’s recent negative PCR or antigen test result, or a way to verify vaccination. The Pass is meant to support a safe reopening of New York by providing a free, fast and secure way to present digital proof of the holder’s health.
The innovative Excelsior Pass is another tool in our new toolbox to fight the virus while allowing more sectors of the economy to reopen safely and keeping personal information secureAndrew Cuomo, Governor of New York
Individuals can store the Pass digitally on their smartphone with the Excelsior Pass Wallet app, available for free from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, or it can also be printed from the Excelsior Pass website.
Businesses and venues can scan and validate the pass to ensure that the holder meets any Covid-19 vaccination or testing requirements for entry. Along with the Pass, individuals will be asked to show a photo ID that shows the holder’s name and birth date to verify that the Pass belongs to the same person. Adults may hold passes for accompanying minors.
Once inside the establishment, individuals will still be asked to follow State and CDC guidance regarding social distancing, face coverings and hand hygiene.
The question of ‘public health or the economy’ has always been a false choice. The answer must be bothAndrew Cuomo, Governor of New York
Participation in Excelsior Pass is voluntary. New Yorkers will also be able show alternate proof of vaccination or testing, like another mobile application or paper form, directly at a business or venue.
Anyone vaccinated or tested for Covid-19 in the State of New York is eligible for a Pass, and there are currently three different types of Passes:
- Covid-19 Vaccination Pass: It is currently valid for 180 days after the Pass is retrieved. After the pass expires, individuals can retrieve a new Pass here
- Covid-19 PCR Test Pass: It is valid until midnight on the third day after the test. After the Covid-19 PCR Test Pass expires, a new test is required to retrieve a new Pass.
- Covid-19 Antigen Test Pass: It is valid for 6 hours after the test. After the Covid-19 Antigen Test Pass expires, a new test is required to retrieve a new Pass.
Using the Excelsior Pass
- Weddings and Catered Events: Weddings and catered events can operate at 50 percent capacity, with no more than 150 people per event, as long as all patrons are tested before the event. Specifically, patrons or guests must have received a negative Covid-19 PCR test that was taken within 72 hours of the start time of the event or an authorized antigen test performed within 6 hours of the event start time.
- Major Stadiums & Arenas: At major stadiums and arenas, spectators must show proof of a negative Covid-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours, Covid-19 antigen test taken within 6 hours, or proof of full vaccination (to be fully vaccinated individuals must have completed their vaccine series at least 14 days prior). As of April 1, smaller sports venues can also reopen with spectators under the same guidelines for proof of a negative test or vaccination. Easily retrieve and save proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test with Excelsior Pass.
- Events, Arts & Entertainment Venues: Starting April 2, venues can welcome more people with proof of vaccination or a recent negative Covid test for entry. Easily retrieve and save proof of vaccination or a negative Covid-19 test with Excelsior Pass.
If a Covid-19 test is required by a venue or event, individuals must make sure to get their test within the correct window of time, so that the provider has enough time to return the test result.