Note: Last update of this article occurred on December 15th.
Can I travel to Latvia?
Entry is authorised but people coming from an country with a cumulative number of COVID-19 cases per 100,000 population of more than 50 for 14 days (‘red’ on the EU trafficl light system) must observe self-isolation for 10 days.
Additional conditions apply to persons employed in medical institutions, social care institutions and educational establishments who are in direct contact with other people, such as doctors assisting the patient or teachers working with children. These people will have to take the Covid-19 test on day 8 after leaving the country. If the test is negative, people will be able to return to work on the 11th day after leaving the country. If the person does not want to perform the test, then the duration of self-isolation will remain the previous one – 14 days.
1. List of countries with very high public health threat
14-day cumulative number of Covid-19 cases per 100,000 population is twice as high as EU/EEA/UK average (790.0).
You have to self-isolate for 10 days after returning or transiting from one of the following countries:
- 🇦🇩 Andorra
- 🇱🇺 Luxembourg
- 🇱🇹 Lithuania
- 🇭🇷 Croatia
- 🇸🇲 San Marino
- 🇸🇮 Slovenia
Important: International passenger transportation from/to these countries via airports, ports, buses and railway is not provided.
2. List of countries with high public health threat
14-day cumulative number of COVID-19 cases per 100,000 inhabitants exceeds rate 50. You have to self-isolate for 10 days after returning or transiting from one of the following countries:
- 🇱🇮 Liechtenstein
- 🇦🇹 Austria
- 🇧🇪 Belgium
- 🇫🇷 France
- 🇵🇱 Poland
- 🇮🇹 Italy
- 🇵🇹 Portugal
- 🇭🇺 Hungary
- 🇧🇬 Bulgaria
- 🇪🇸 Spain
- 🇳🇱 Netherlands
- 🇲🇨 Monaco
- 🇸🇰 Slovakia
- 🇷🇴 Romania
- 🇬🇧 United Kingdom
- 🇸🇪 Sweden
- 🇨🇭 Switzerland
- 🇨🇾 Cyprus
- 🇩🇰 Denmark
- 🇪🇪 Estonia
- 🇳🇴 Norway
- 🇫🇮 Finland
- 🇮🇸 Iceland
- 🇮🇪 Ireland
- 🇩🇪 Germany
- 🇨🇿 Czech Republic
- 🇲🇹 Malta
International passenger transportation from/to these countries may be provided.
3. List of countries with low public health threat
14-day cumulative number of COVID-19 cases per 100,000 inhabitants does not exceed rate 50 (or ‘orange’), therefore self-isolation is not compulsory for people coming from one of these countries:
- 🇻🇦 Vatican City State
Latest information can be found here.
4. Countries outside the EU/EEA and the UK
The list of included countries of which crossing of the external EU border is permitted is defined in the Council’s of Europe ‘Council recommendation on the temporary restriction on non-essential travel into the EU and the possible lifting of such restriction’. You may enter without self-isolation from:
- 🇦🇺 Australia
- 🇯🇵 Japan
- 🇳🇿 New Zealand
- 🇷🇼 Rwanda
- 🇸🇬 Singapore
- 🇰🇷 South Korea
- 🇹🇭 Thailand
- 🇺🇾 Uruguay
For other countries not on this list, non-essential travel is not recommended / direct international passenger transport is prohibited and 10 days of self-isolations must be observed after returning or transiting the country.
5. Registration form
All travellers, including citizens and permanent residents of Latvia must fill out a registration form.
6. Definition of quarantine
- Self-isolation must be maintained at the place of a person’s residence or another place of stay.
- Self-isolation must be maintained for 10 days after leaving the specific country.
- Stay in the place of self-isolation, do not expose other persons to the risk of being infected, do not have direct contact with others (do not welcome guests, do not visit others, do not go to work and public places where a large number of people pass through, except for visiting a store and reaching your place of residence or another place of stay immediately after entering Latvia). Use a protective cover for your mouth and nose;
- Monitor your health, measure your body temperature in the morning and at night;
- If you have a cough, a elevated body temperature (fever), loss of breath, contact a medical professional immediately;
- Other members of your household can continue their daily activities.
If you are in self-isolation and the cumulative rate for the country you returned from does not exceed 50 per 100,000 inhabitants within 14 days (classified as red in the EU traffic light system), then self-isolation may be stopped.
7. Can I get tested for Covid-19?
Individuals may call 8303 on weekdays from 8 AM to 8 PM, on Saturdays from 9 AM to 3 PM and on Sundays from 9 AM to 12 PM.